dust storm

Few days back in Dubai there is dust storm. If you never see dust storm you not believe me when I say the dust just come. So much dust. Only dust. Dust go in your clothes and nose and hair and eyes and mouth. The dust just hang in air. you clean it but more dust is coming. Everything get covered in dust. Always when dust storm is coming it means the weather will change. If it is cold it will become hot after dust storm. If it is hot then it become cold after dust storm. Like that. 

I am not liking dust storm because all my work is become so much. First thing I have to run and bring all clothes inside. Because we are not having dryer. So all clothes is hanging out. When I see the dust storm is coming I quickly quickly have to run for clothes. If I am not realising then I am in big trouble. All clothes is full of dust. Maam not liking that. Then she make me do wash again. I remember  last year in the winter when there is dust storm this big blanket of maam is left outside in dust storm. Maam saying Sally it become so dusty you better you wash again. I saying yes maam.

But you know how hard it is to wash such a big blanket? I always wish maam give for dry clean but this blanket she make me wash at home. I wash in washing maching but still it so heavy when I have to bring it out. Then I have to put on clothes rack. When I am putting it the rack is falling down. It is so big and heavy so sometimes the blanket is touching the ground. Even that Maam does not like. She too particular about this kind of thing. Everything have to be so clean. Clothes cannot touch ground. Blanket cannot touch ground. But children if they sit on ground it is ok. I not understand maam.

She tell me how to dry this blanket. She say Sally you fold it first inside the house then you put it out. then after sometime you bring it in and open and fold again. and put it out again. When I wash this blanket I am folding and opening and folding it the whole day. Until it is dry. It is too much work. And imagine if I have to do it two times in one day because of dust storm. I will not have time to do any other work. So I just shake it and fold and put away neatly when maam is not there. She not suspect me. Because I shake it very well there is no dust.

So when it become dusty I am running outside like a mad girl. bringing full clothes rack inside. or bringing clothes inside. bringing bed sheets and bed covers and towels inside. But I cannot even leave door open because then all dust coming inside. It so difficult.

So much work also after the storm. I have to clean all porch chairs and table. Then I have to sweep porch. Then I have to wash cars and windows and clean the glass on the doors. There is dust everywhere. And if I forget to close some window then the dust is come inside also. Too much work before and after the dust storm. That why all housemaid is not like when it come.

Few days back remember when I am sad because I miss my family? I think sadness is like a dust storm. When you feel sad the air is heavy. Like in the dust storm you cannot see anything clearly. It is like you are wearing dirty glasses and looking at the world. You can clean the dirty glasses and pray they do not get dusty again.  Pray that you do not get covered in a blanket of dust. Hope and pray that you can shake this blanket of sadness and fold it and put it away neatly. And hope when the dust storm goes away you have some better weather days.

5 comments:

kat said...

hi sally~
i enjoy reading your blog :)
keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Hi 'sally' I have been employing pinoy maids since past 4 years in singapore and I really enjoy reading ur blog. I must admit I was quiet dissapointed to hear the truth but it is informative and entertaining anyway.With my first maid I was quiet strict as I was working and was worried about the safety of my child but she was a kind and hardworking lady and worked for 3 & half years. With my other 2 maids I was much more lenient as I was sahm but # 2 maid left after 6 months to get married and maid # 3 was so rude I had to pack her back to the agency in 15 days. Anyway my new maid is coming next week and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I really need the help at least for a year more as my kids r too small.
Ps I bet u r indian like me..

dubaisally said...

Thank you to both.

Anonymous I am sorry you are disappointed. But happy you find the story interesting. And yes you are correct.

Anonymous said...

HI SALLY,
I'M EMPRESSED OF YOUR BLOG, BUT PLEASE WHATEVER YOU WANT IN THIS LIFE DO IT IN THE RIGHT WAY,NOT STEPPING ON OTHER NATIONALITIES PRIDE... I'M DISSAPOINTED ON YOU BRINGING MY SIGN... PLEASE USE YOU OWN FLAG... YOU'RE NOT REAL FILIPINO... IKINAKAHIYA KITA...

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sally, if you are writing your fictional character, why have you chosen "Filipina"? You want to hide your agony, your success? I like your blog anyway, you know our Filipina maid who wants to write a blog, we prefer to write it in our own language rather than writing in poorly written grammar. - A concern anonymous Filipina-.

Post a Comment