Fine

Today I am reading in paper that there is this one housemaid who is winning case. Her maam is not pay her for 5 years. Imagine. How she is going on working without any pay? Why she wait 5 years before she do complain to consulate? Now she getting her 5 year pay and also one year extra. So everyone think all is fine. But I not think it all fine. I tell you why.

First- the maid is Filipina but her salary is only 600 dirham. It is suppose to be 1400 or 1500 dirham. How she is work for so less pay? In newspaper they write that consulate is agree that it little bit low but it is in the contact. so it ok. I am thinking that it not just little bit low. 600 dirham is more than half lower than 1500 dirham. How she sign contract for so less pay I am not understanding. Why they not make agency and employer pay fine when they find out that salary is not correct? Why there is no one appoint from consulate who look at all housemaid contracts and check that the salary is ok? But then I think atleast now she get 600 dirham. It better than 0 dirham which is what her salary is for so many years.

Second- I think the maam should be punish for not paying salary. She pay what she is owe the maid and little more. But no fine. No other punishment. Why they not put ban on her from keeping another maid? Just like they are banning the maid if she do something bad. sometimes they should put some ban on employer also. Like if the employer is beat maid then he should get ban. If he is not pay maid then he should be ban. If he having complain from maid of abuse then he should be ban. If not ban then at least fine? What you think?

When maid do something wrong she get ban and deport. No one want to listen also to what she say. I think that even the maam who do wrong things to maid should be ban. or pay some fine. Then maybe it will all be fine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope that this blog entry will get to the Phil Consulate and/or escalated to Sec. Linda Baldoz. Settling only for back pay + 1 year is typical of Filipino mentality, the passiveness and apathy, just because "it is what's signed in the original contract"! They just wash their hands clean and don't want to get into trouble. SHAME on POEA and whoever is pretending to "protect" the overseas Filipinos. Going the extra mile to show compassion won't hurt. It may be too complicated to put a ban on the employer and may not worth dragging her to court, the Phil govt. should shut down the agency who brought this maid to that employer. While there's a big issue on abusive employers, there's a much bigger problem within the Philippines alone, even before the maid got her job. Solutions should start from within. I feel very sad when I hear stories like this. I wish I'd still be alive, insh'Allah, to see the day when the Philippines will wake up and rise again...

and Sally, regardless you are Filipino or not, maid or madame, I thank you for putting up this blog. The social issues you write on do not only pertain to maid-madame relationships, they encompass all other relationships where struggles, injustices, as well as achievements and happiness exist. Your blog make us look within ourselves from time to time.

Anonymous said...

come on sally, give us all a break. you are not a filipina maid

dubaisally said...

To Anon1. Thank you for your comment. I am happy you understand why I do this blog.

dubaisally said...

To anon2. I do not get a break. So why I should give you a break? Keep guessing. And keep reading. I have many more stories to tell.

Teresa Griffin said...

Thank you for writing this. When I first read about this story, I was shocked that the newspaper put such a positive headline on it! Justice has not been served. The question I am left pondering is how to live and raise children here in a way that promotes justice and respect for all people.

Post a Comment